Subject: [Leica] Thanks...
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Fri Jan 9 14:44:34 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Gary Dalton wrote:

> So, to start with, I'm going to shoot with each of my five lenses at
> different f-stops and speeds. I'll record that data and compare it
> with the prints to see what I've got...
>
> How's that sound for a starting point?

Deadly boring.

Lenses: Twist the aperture rings back and forth and rack the focus a
few times each.  If they work, they work.

If one is inoperative or overly tight, get a CLA.

Shutter: Give it a few clicks at each speed to exercise it. You can
likely tell if it's pretty close to right by looking and listening.

Use one lens to run through as much of the shutter speed range as you
can at the beginning of the roll.

Use the rest of the roll to take interesting pictures and to have fun.

Develop and look at negatives.

If the negatives look good, repeat as necessary, skipping the test
part of the roll.

If the exposures are really bad and unpredictable, get a CLA for the
camera.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/

Replies: Reply from grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton) ([Leica] Thanks...)