Subject: [Leica] Developing B&W for scanning
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri Jan 9 19:52:34 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Thomas Irving wrote:

> Has anyone any advice for exposing & developing B&W for scanning (as
> opposed to enlarging?).  I've seen oblique references to wanting to
> do things a bit differently for scanning. Any film/developer
> combinations people were particularly pleased with would also be
> useful to know.
I haven't investigated processing specifically for scanning.  I've been just
going along
as I did before.  My combinations include (using distilled water to mix all
developers and
Photo-Flo):

Agfa APX 25 in Rodinal 1:25 or 1:50, depending on the contrast of the scene;

Tri-X or HP5 in FG-7 1:15 when rated at 400/500 ISO;

Or FG-7 1:15 with a 9% solution of sodium sulfite, for a rating of 800 ISO;

FP4 in FG-7 1:15;

FP4 in Microdol-X straight;

Verichrome Pan in FG-7 1:15 or Microdol-X straight;

Kodak HIE infrared in FG7 1:15

My times at 68F vary; I develop by inspection - when the density looks right
under
the green light, I put it in the fixer. You can check out my gallery and
decide for yourself
if my scanned negs look good.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978