Subject: [Leica] M8 dust...
From: donr at ishutterbug.com (donr@ishutterbug.com)
Date: Sun Jan 11 16:05:52 2009

I am a travel and outdoor photographer and have been battling dust,
etc., on sensors for years. I think I've tried everything, even buying a
body for each lens I love so I won't have to take them off. :) But on
every shoot [read: where wife wants to go on vacation that year] I spend
an hour or so before retiring downloading all the day's images from
memory cards to computer, then I look at every picture and look for dust
spots. If I see any/many then I haul out my sensor-cleaning kit and get
to work. It's a real hassle, as everyone knows.

I'm posting this because I haven's heard mentioned what I have come to
consider the most important tool in monitoring sensors--the Visible Dust
Sensor Loupe (or Sensor Scope by another manufacturer, I used to use).
My last trip I used their new 7X Sensor Loupe and I was able to spot the
dust specks and sensor smudges so clearly I'd just keep using the Arctic
Butterfly brush lightly until I got them all. It was a tremendous time
saver and the first time I was able see what was on the sensor, always
before I'd use the swabs and Eclipse, put the camera back together,
shoot a test shot, take the battery out, plug in AC adaptor, strip the
camera down to "sensor cleaning mode", etc., a real pain. The Loupe was
the key for me. (It was funny, just like Copper Mountain said, it took
me years before I got up the courage to even touch the sensor. :))
Regards,
Don