Subject: [Leica] Neopan Advice (now asking about Neopan 1600)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Jan 12 12:16:37 2009

>Mark,
>
>How about comparing to Neopan 400?
>
>Is the result of Neopan 1600 different from shooting Neopan 400 at EI1600?
>
>Fuji Datasheet suggests that both 400, and 1600 are very versatile and
>I can shoot them at EI400, EI800, EI1600, or even EI3200.
>
>Any experience with both films?  For me, the Neopan 400 shot at EI800
>seems to scan better than when shooting at EI400.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Pasvorn

This is from Notmark, but...

Neopan 400 shot at 800 will scan better because it's thinner, but you
will still lose a stop of shadow information.

Optimal negs for printing in a darkroom are not the optimal negs for
scanning. For scanning slight underdevelopment is usually better, as
denser negs are hard to scan. Exposure still has to be correct, but
pull the development slightly.

As far as exposing the films, try it and see how much shadow info you
can live without. Neopan 400 shot at 3200 will have lost 3 stops,
which you cannot get back in any way. It might still produce images
you like, but the shadow info is gone.

Neopan 1600 is not quite a 1600 film, but I like it shot at 1600 so
that works for me. N 400 shot at 1600 hardly ever makes me happy.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Neopan Advice (now asking about Neopan 1600))