Subject: [Leica] Aram attempts people pictures - tea party
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 13 22:16:53 2009

Aram Langhans showed & said:

>>>Out of my territory, but I think these turned out pretty good.  When we
visit my father-in-law, we always go see one of his neighbors.  Martha grew
up in Germany during WWII and has many interesting stories to tell.  We sit
around the table with friends and have tea and home made cookies.  She is
fond of rum in her tea.  This trip was no exception.  A grand time was had
by all.  Might have one more before we leave Thursday.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/jan09/tp/

Hi Aram,

By the look of the "Happy Tea Party" :-) I'd certainly have another if
there's time! :-)

A point or two:

The best in the series are those where people are engaged in doing something
or otherwise involved in conversation.

Obviously a tough situation in avoiding "look at the birdie" type photos, we
all shoot them. It's no big deal, in this case you illustrate both.

"Good people element photos" when they are involved and not looking at the
photog. And some looking right into lens.

Anytime we're photographing people usually the best moments happen when
subjects are doing something, engaged in conversation or using hands as they
speak. This adds the visual aspect of the conversation if the hands are
emphasizing a point.

As you have here, the lady and her hands clenched in explanation. Nice photo
moment by the way.

I mean it's highly unlikely one is going to shoot Pulitzer prize winning
pictures at a table of a half dozen folks enjoying a nice spot of tea with a
touch of Rum! HOWEVER, you never know!! :-) Nice touch the rum by the way!
:-) :-) :-)

Very simple thing to keep in mind.

When the folks are looking every place but you with camera, the chances are
you will be shooting a better photo than one when a person is looking at
you. But some of the best portraits are when the subject is engaged in
conversation but being asked a question and the mind is in action because
they're listening.

Remember, we,  "HEAR WITH OUR EARS... BUT WE LISTEN WITH OUR EYES!"  And at
that moment the eyes are alive because the mind is in action absorbing
what's being heard.

A nice shoot even if you feel you're out of your  main topic of picture
taking.

Cheers,

ted