Subject: [Leica] OT: Audiophile Question
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Jan 16 12:46:42 2009

2009-01-15-14:14:56 Steve Unsworth:
> An SACD may have a Toslink output, but that's only used when playing
> standard CDs.

That's correct.

> As far as I'm aware there's no SACD output, and no one makes
> an external SACD decoder.

Separate SACD or DSD (the encoding used by SACDs) transports and
digital-to-analog converters have existed (as they'd have had to)  for
awhile in the realm of studio recording/mastering equipment, and that
realm squishes over into the realm of the hyper-high-quality audiophile
system.  Companies like Meitner/emmlabs and dCS are known for excellent
equipment of this type.

In the consumer realm...  there are now some combo video/SACD players
which are allowed to send the DSD stream over the HDMI combo video/audio
link.  I guess all the evil HDCP copy protection incorporated in that
stuff was enough to satisfy Sony and friends their precious bits
wouldn't get hijacked.  There are current AV receivers (from Onkyo,
Denon and others) and A/V preamps (from Integra and others) which will
consent to decode this DSD stream into the requisite two or more
channels of audio.

HDMI is still considered a problematic, suboptimal medium for an audio
bitstream, but we can hope the people who've managed over the last 20
years or so to tweak CDs into sounding much more like music will figure
out how to work around its limitations.

 -Jeff

Message from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)