Subject: [Leica] OT: Audiophile Question
From: gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo)
Date: Fri Jan 16 14:33:41 2009

jbm@jbm.org writes in part:> > One advantage of a balanced connection is
noise cancellation -- the> northgoing and southgoing halves of the signal
presumably pick up the> the same noise signals, which cancel out when halves
are summed. But I> doubt this is much of an issue with a four-foot run.> >
The other potential advantage (or disadvantage) depends on the internal>
architecture of your equipment. Several of the very best lines of audio>
equipment are laid out inside, to the greatest extent possible, in a>
balanced fashion -- separate traces, distinct D/A converters and driver>
circuitry... if the pre-pro and amp are designed this way, then I'd> expect
balanced cabling (if of similar quality to the single-ended> cables you'd
otherwise be using) to sound better -- in part because> there'd be extra
conversions from balanced to single-ended to balanced> at this interface.
That, and some of the magic might leak out.

The maker of the amp and pre-amp is the same company and they do in fact
recommend XLR connections over RCA. They also offer an option to wire from
either current source, voltage source or both connects for the front 3
channels.

Greg Lorenzo
Calgary, Canada

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.