Subject: [Leica] OT: Audiophile Question
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Jan 16 18:37:31 2009

2009-01-16-19:14:29 Tim Gray:
> Buy some Neutrik XLRs (I prefer the black ones with gold plating -
> NC3FX-B and NC3MX-B)

I'm with you there...

> and some good Canare wire and you should be fine.
> Get a local to solder them up for you.  Canare L-4E6S Star Quad is a
> good cable.  Should be about $.50/foot and the Neutrik connectors
> should be $2-4.  You can order the stuff from Markertek.

Are you really going to bring the Mogami-versus-Canare argument here to
the LUG?  Or am I the one doing it?

I associate Canare with remote-gig toughness and Mogami with better
sound, but I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification.

Maybe.  But check into Mogami 2534 quad.

Or, depending on his budget and interest in tweakiness, there are
audiophilic brands to try.  For a short run like that, some other stuff
is affordable.

Definitely of interest is the magnet-wire-and-air stuff from Anti-Cables:

  http://www.anticables.com/

Their speaker cables are a killer sound-quality-for-the-buck value, and
their interconnects are... interesting.  Certainly pricier per foot than
the speaker cable, but clearly more labor-intensive as well.

I thought some balanced Anti-Cables interconnects (not-)sounded darned
good, maybe a trifle rougher than the new Audience e-series but at a far
better price.

  http://audience-av.com/

I've always wondered about Meitner's cables, but haven't yet heard them.

  http://www.emmcables.com/

We haven't heard exactly what stuff the OP is plugging together;  just
how fancy it is would give a clue about how far to go toward cabling it
optimally.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)
Message from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)