Subject: [Leica] Dehumanizing portraits?
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sun Jan 18 19:33:43 2009

Many of the photograph we take as icons today had a hard time seeing
the light of day in their own time.
After all, wasn't W. Eugene Smith fired by LIFE for using a 35mm.
Only after a failed stint at LOOK, and the intervention of friends
was he allowed back in at LIFE.
Igor Stravinsky's portrait by Arnold Newman, originally was taken off
the run list so LIFE could run an image of two East German male
soldiers holding hands.
Or, for that matter, the Armory show of 1913 elicited scalding reviews.
But in this case, these are not "just" people or photographs, they
are images of individuals who have entered mythic time. And, they are
cognizant of that. Something else is going here which will evolve
with time. It will be interesting to see what it is.
sd