Subject: [Leica] Dehumanizing portraits?
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Sun Jan 18 20:39:25 2009

I agree with others who say that these are sincere and honest
portraits.  I don't think at all that the photographer was trying to
create negative perceptions.

However, when I saw these the other day on Mike Johnston's blog, "The
Online Photographer", I had and immediate and visceral negative
reaction.  I think the photographer was trying to employ a particular
style through the use of the plain background and the ringlight.  While
this might work for a Vogue model, with this group of middle-aged and
older folks its extremely unflattering.  What is trying to be art comes
off as gimmicky artifice.  Maybe its just that I'm not open to new
visual ideas although it seems like I'm in good company here.

Mike D