Subject: [Leica] Imageprint vs Epson's Colorburst
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon Jan 19 08:22:37 2009

Doug,

I have Colorburst. The primary difference between them is that with the full
version of Colorburst you can create your own RIP profiles with Coloburst
and you cannot with Imageprint.

The Colorburst that comes with Epson printers is limited and does not allow
you to create your own profiles. You would need to pay an upgrade fee to do
that. So it's only the limited version of Colorburst that is less expensive
than Imageprint, and you will get a lot more out of the box profiles with
your imageprint than with the Epson Colorburst version.

Imageprint comes with LOTS of profiles for various papers, inks and lighting
situations. Coloburst's canned profiles are more limited.

With Colorburst, if you want to create your own profiles, you need a
spectrophotometer (read another expense), and not just one that can
calibrate monitors.

Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'd probably pick Imageprint over the
full or Epson bundled version. It is not easy (for me) to make a profile
with Colorburst and their documentation is horrid. I had to call them and
use their support board; they finally posted, on their support board, the
right way to make a profile. The manual was totally wrong.

I have no complaints about the output from my Colorburst profiles. I enjoyed
the learning curve, but it is not for the faint of heart.
Best,
Bob
 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA