Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Jan 19 11:30:37 2009

Hi Hoppy,

What I'm really saying is that with the M8, shooting in Auto mode
(manual mode implies measuring relevant point to get your exposure
correct, so exposure compensation is done in the brain and not in the
camera) means that I get the most useable shots under average
conditions by setting the compensation to -1/3 or -2/3.

This does not apply to snow scenes, 3/4 portraits of people against
white backgrounds, coal mines or other distinctly 'non-average'
settings.

The M8 meter is a center weighted meter with a wider angle of
acceptance than that of the M6 or M7, but it does not additional
computation such as most DSLR meters now do. That means that on full
auto, you'll get a wider range of exposures that are 'off' than with
the matrix metering boxes, but it also means that you can learn what
it's doing and act accordingly instead of wondering what the camera
computer wants to throw at you this time.

The M8 meter, left on Auto and shot all day with average scenes and
set at -2/3 compensation, will often underexpose but there is less
chance it will overexpose. As I mentioned, overexposure is mostly
_BAAAD_ for digital files, and underexposure is generally something
you can deal with readily, and will not be visible in most prints.
Clipped highlights will often be visible and uncorrectable.

In the end, perfect exposure is perfect exposure. Set the camera to
manual, meter off various elements in the scene and integrate the
values into a correct exposure. Take a shot, check the histogram and
then take the 'money' shot.

Or, set the camera on Auto with compensation that avoids highlight
blowouts, and take a dozen pictures in the meanwhile.