Subject: [Leica] DxO, the M8 and dynamic range
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Jan 20 02:57:34 2009

Geoff,
If you recall from the discussions of the Kodak sensor when the M8 was
originally announced one of the technical items that stood out was that the
bias was toward the low end of dynamic range.  Most sensors show a bias one
way or the other and the Kodak sensor in the M8 does a better job
distinguishing small differences in light values in the dark areas than in
the light.  Which is why most of us have dialed in a negative exposure
compensation to avoid blowing the highlights.