Subject: [Leica] Petition for initiating M8 lens identification in firmware
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jan 20 16:35:10 2009

Chris my Zeiss 21mm lens worked perfectly without coding on my M8. In the
end I did choose to have Zeiss update the lens mount to allow coding anyway.
Actually Zeiss did it for free. I've since sold that lens and invested in
the superb new Elmar 24 from Leica.
You can use almost any  uncoded Leica M lens on the M8 just fine. I applaud
Leica for keeping the mount intact and adding no electrical interface to new
lenses.
I applaud them for not reducing the image circle size in new M lenses even
though we look to have the 1.33 crop factor into the foreseeable future.
If you use any LTM with an appropriate and inexpensive M adaptor from
Voigtlander you can have the adaptor milled for coding (John Milich) if you
wish.
The point is that you CAN use uncoded lenses. Or can choose to acquire newer
ones or pursue an aftermarket option if wanted. Realistically, coding adds
little functionality to the majority of older M lenses, most especially for
anything from 35mm and longer.
You realise that you would need 64 different menu choices if you want all of
the 6 bit coding functionality? AND you need a lens mount that brings up a
compatible frame line? Yes even when you don't use the internal viewfinder!
My comments on Nikon were directed to Mitch as an example of course.
Different viewpoints and priorities. I don't want to sidetrack my coding
comments further in that direction.