Subject: [Leica] R lenses on Canon bodies
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun Jan 25 18:11:26 2009

Dear Wayne,
Been there - done that.
In your internet search have you seen
http://leica.nemeng.com/002f.shtml
Andrew Nemeth's page is pretty comprehensive and lists comments from
some LUG members on their experiences with R lenses on Canon bodies
including the 5D.
Perhaps you have looked on the Fred Miranda site? There is a sticky
thread about which R lenses hit the mirror (Guy Manusco shaved the
mirror of his 5D). It is archived and you need to be a member to read
it.
Please see:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55
the "discussions about alternate gear" is the subtopic.
Briefly from my experience the 28mm ROM may (or may not) hit the 5D
mirror at infinity focus. Among my photo friends in Hong Kong we had
one 28mm ROM lens that worked and one that didn't.
Focusing wide angles on the 5D is improved if you get an adapter with
a focusing chip in it - but still not easy. Telephotos are not so much
of a problem.
There are some issues about exposure accuracy and the Canon's
programming as the lenses are stopped down. Others with more
experience about this might want to weigh in.
There are thousands of threads about all this on the internet as I am
sure you have discovered.
Howard
(who has moved on to changing bayonets from R to N and using Leica
glass on his Nikon D700)