Subject: [Leica] [IMG] Magnitogorsk
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Jan 27 13:12:02 2009

LUGgers,

Here are some snapshots from my short trip to Magnitogorsk, Russia, last
week (made with OT gear):

http://mogool.com/russia/

It was my first stay in this country and very interesting. I was there to
cheer my team in the ice hockey champion's league final (2:2 score between
Metallurg Magnitogorsk and Zurich Lions - no pics from the game as it it was
prohibited). But I got some other interesting stuff.

Pics 11-13 show an ice fisher on a frozen lake:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=11
Unfortunately it can't be seen well, but this dude had golden teeth oll
over! And just to mention, he didn't carry gloves (at -15?C).

Pic 14 shows one of the many fish traps he installed:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=14
When a fish bites the red flag goes up.

And so it looks when the fish sold in the street:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=48
(the temperature was widely below the freezing point all the time, so don't
care about the fish's freshness)

We also had some really tasty fish specialties in a restaurant:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=28

The civic part is on the european side of the river, also named the Ural.
The city has no specific centre, just rectangular roads, and a bit more
shops, newer buildings and more people at the main crossing sections.
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=18
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=45
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=47

The industrial part (Magnitogorsk has one of the biggest metallurgical
plants of the the world) is completely located at the easter, asian (and
siberian) side of the river:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=35
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=33

The people there use to say "I live in Europe and work in Asia" - so
crossing such a traffic sign is less special for them as it was for me:
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=32

As some pics show, the air is indeed rather polluted there (the town is
rated "Top 25 Worst Polluted Cities")
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=26
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=30
http://mogool.com/russia/index.php?img=51

But to be honest, the effect of russian Vodka was exceedingly bigger on my
state of health than the environmental pollution :-)

Comments and critiques welcome as always.

Nastrovje!
Didier

More about Magnitogorsk at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitogorsk