Subject: [Leica] Re: UK snowstorm
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Feb 3 00:53:36 2009

It all depends on what you're used to and
prepared for. People in Florida aren't fools for
not being able to deal with snow; I'm not
prepared to deal with alligators here.

I grew up mostly in northern Alberta, where snow
comes starting September and is largely gone
early May. Every year. When the first snow comes
there are some accidents and then people get used
to it again, the snowplows come out and life goes
on.

Here in Vancouver we usually get a bit of snow,
then it rains soon after and that's it until next
year. If it's 6 inches we hunker down for a day.

When we get a lot of snow like this year, we're
in trouble. The city doesn't have real snowplows,
the streets aren't designed for snow clearing,
and people for the most part don't use winter
tires, just all-seasons. Also, the temperature is
near 0 (all temps in Celsius) when it's at its
slipperiest. In Alberta we can go years without
snow that we can make a snowman out of; on the
other hand it's real easy to clear with a snow
blower.

A foot of snow at -20? is a lot different than a
foot of snow at 0?. The latter causes your car to
get hung up, the former is hardly slippery and
only causes real problems if it's drifted into
hard pack.

There's a town here in BC, on the Trans-Canada
Highway, that gets 20+ feet of snow per year. The
snowbanks at the sides are a lot higher than the
trucks. They have snow clearing equipment, a
budget for it and you don't park your car at the
side of the road where the snow plows come
through. They don't have a problem.

In northern Alberta there was one town where I
lived where the temperature went down to -55? at
least once each winter, and in the summer it
regularly hit 45? as a high. If those
temperatures came to London, it would truly be a
disaster, but that town in Alberta was
(reasonably) ready for those temperatures, and no
extra fuss was made about them.

It's only the exceptional that wasn't reasonably
prepared for that really causes problems, not the
fact of the snow/temperature/rain etc in itself.
People are mostly very good at dealing with
whatever weather they usually get.