Subject: [Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Feb 5 08:30:12 2009

Marty,

Thanks for your excellent and very informative post. I have a few
questions that perhaps you, or someone else, can answer. First, how
important is distortion for photography outside of architecture?
Secondly, is there much sample variation in modern lenses (my assumption
would be less than in the past, but sometimes I wonderA)? Finally, are
lenses today really any better overall than lenses from say 25 years ago
-- or are they just better in some ways, at the expense of other ways?

I don't shoot any architecture anymore, though at one time I did. I know
that for me to notice distortion now, a lens has to be pretty bad. I can
also live with a little barrel or pincushion, because in a critical
situation I can fix it with software. But the moustache distortion found
in some multi-asph consumer grade zooms (I haven't seen it in primes,
but I haven't bought any new primes in a long time) is impossible to
correct.

DaveR