Subject: [Leica] LFI Leica executives interview, the ultimate speculation thread
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 15 23:51:13 2009

Being at the end of a rather long postal journey, I just got my December
/January LFI magazine. It includes an interview with Dr Kaufmann and other
leading Leica folks on future directions and progress. For folks that don't
get this, I thought it might be of general interest to show a quote here. I
think the whole issue is well worth a read, if you get the oopportunity.
Just ignore this if you aren't interested in future maybes and dreams. I'm
well aware that it does not represent any concrete facts. Personally I found
this paragraph quite startling, based on the very considered nature of Dr
Kaufmann's previous published remarks.

LFI: Just to be clear, the development of an heir to the R will not lead to
the redundancy of the digital M?

Dr Kaufmann: On the contrary. The M system has yet a lot to offer and we're
bound to see it evolve. There will probably always be the classic Leica M.
Just like there will always be millions of classic Leica M lenses
circulating in the world of photography. However, we're also thinking about
what else we can do with elements of the Leica M, particularly its bayonet.
The possibilities become endless. What would happen if we were to reinvent
the viewfinder, moving beyond just optical? What if an automatic lens
recognition mode were capable of always displaying the corresponding frame?
Suddenly we're thinking zoom lenses. And what would happen if a camera were
compatible with both M and R lenses? You see, these are the dreams of the
future. You know how it is when you're brainstorming. The imagination goes
wild.
For those like me intensely interested, I'd welcome opinions, off list if
you like.
--
Cheers
Geoff