Subject: [Leica] BirdShooting (ID needed)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Mon Feb 16 14:06:04 2009

Folks -

So, Ruthie & I went out last week and did some serious birding in
Indiana.  There was a Rumor of Redpolls, and indeed, they were
returning cyclically to one spot.  So, we staked it out for a hour or
two.

This gave me a chance to try to get a coupla concepts to stick to a
CF card.  Besides going for lower ISO's than usual (the pod was
certainly a big help here) I wanted to use two bird-bodies in one of
those snaps that's sorta more about the picture than the bird per se;
here's one that seemed to work:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109113004

In the realm of Bird Portraiture (where it's more about the bird) I
was shooting for a snap where you can see both of the bird's eyes
without having a full-on beak-pointing-at-the-lens kindof thing;
here's the pick:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/109113003

Thing about this one is, there's a debate going around about whether
or not this is a Hoary Redpoll, which seems to be something of a Big
Deal for actual birders.  Anybody got a call on this??

Other observations and pointers are, as always, also part of the
pursuit...

Tech stuff is the usual 400 6.8 Telyt at f/8 with an ever-
increasingly-more-battered Canon 20D hanging off the back.  Depth of
field was getting pretty slim from the close stakeout position...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] BirdShooting (ID needed))