Subject: [Leica] New Leica 18mm and a Flash Question!
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Feb 18 13:08:14 2009

I have a Honeywell potato masher. Two actually. I still have the bare
bulb accessory and the high voltage power pack. Last time I used it I
accidentally crossed some wires. I hear a loud pop. My M3 was none the
worse for wear. I fear a newer electronic camera would not have fared so
well.

I have two small Vivitars (one looks like a mini 283) and a small flash
made by Nikon. I bought them all used and don't think I paid over $10
for any.

I almost always use the small flashes with PC cords and not hot shoe
mounted. They all have auto modes that work surprisingly well.

The little Vivitar/mini-283 is my favorite. I velcro'ed a piece of matte
board to it for bounce one night when I had to photograph a party. Years
later I still use it. The temporary bounce solution lasted for way
longer than I thought it would. Worked better than I thought it would,
too.

I also have a fold up reflector complete with flash bulbs. I'm sure if I
ever used that I'd forget and leave the camera on X synch. OTOH, the
smell of a freshly fried flash bulb would surely bring back memories.
The smell of fried fingertips too, though that I won't forget.

DaveR