Subject: [Leica] Newbie M8 owner questions
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Feb 26 03:27:07 2009

Congratulations on your decision; you will enjoy your camera very much.  As
to cards, buy what is cheap as long as you can return it.  After loading the
latest firmware on your camera you should format whatever card you purchase
in the M8 immediately after putting it in the camera.  If it formats and
accepts images you are good to go.  As an electronic device the chances of
future failure are very small after the first few days of use.

As with any digital camera your workflow should be something like: download
card to computer, burn a second copy from the computer to a DVD or external
hard drive before working on the files.  When you put the card back in your
camera format it again before you use it; if it formats then you are good to
go.  Of course with the price of memory today some folks chose to use the
card itself as one of their archives for images.  Just be aware that flash
memory does need a power source every few years to retain it's state.