Subject: [Leica] FYI
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Feb 27 13:03:50 2009

>http://www.epson.jp/osirase/2009/090227.htm
>Japanese fonts need to be installed on your browser to view this page.

Nice to know Epson's still doing soemthing with a digital rangefinder.

As for the new version - it's the same camera, with the same specs, except a
larger screen, SDHC capability, newer imaging software, and a new grip -
nothing which could excite me. I could still live well with a 6 megapixels
sensor, if he would at least be a bit bigger. But keeping the pixel count
and the sensor size/crop-factor, doesn't make much sense in my eyes. It will
be interesting to know if they managed to improve the rangefinder's
reliability (personally I'm not shure about that).

This rather tepid upgrade (if such a small step after such a long time can
be considered as an upgrade at all) feels like they just looked for an
opportunity to empty their stock material. But this is at least more than
doing nothing.

As dpreview.com states, only sales in Japan are planned - a hint for a low
production count, and also a hint for a price which will not be
siginificantly lower than the actual price, which is around $2k-$2.2k, and
thus not competitive to the decreasing M8 prices.

If they would at least dump that R-D1x worldwide for $750, this would change
things...

Didier