Subject: [Leica] New lenses and S2
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 08:50:55 -0700

I remember the issue on the M8 to be.... the coating has thickness, if the
angle of incidence of the light rays pass at different angles ( like in WA
lenses) then the effect is different ( because the rays of light are passing
through different thickness of coating), and therefore there is possible
image degradation/warpage dependent on wavelength and focal length and image
content.  None of which can be calibrated out.

However, the other (Leica) spin was that it improved image quality compared
to not have the filter..... which is theoretically true, so why, on a reflex
camera that is trying to be the worlds' best, include the filter?

If you wish to produce the very best, why bother with an element that has
negative effect on the image, that could be left off?

Customer (M8) whining/complaints from the lens filters?  It is a very
practical response....   and I must applaud Leica for fixing it.....

Note:  The DMR has an IR filter.  Apparently users like the DMR ......  so
why not follow success?

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

Most digital cameras have had this from the beginning of digital
photography. It is OK with lenses made for reflex cameras or
specifically designed for digital sensors. It is unsuitable for
rangefinder type wide angles. That is why the M8 does not have it.
Frank

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] New lenses and S2)