Subject: [Leica] Mamiya 7II gotchas?
From: weiljr at earthlink.net (joe weil)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:03:52 -0700

Richard,
 there is a nice review of this camera at Luminous Landscape. You should go
there to get a beauty and the beast review of this camera.
Some things that I can think of that are quirky to say the least.
1. Dark shield is in the camera body since the shutter is in the lenses. In
order to change lenses you need to switch this on to prevent exposing the
film. After lens change, you need to switch it off. If you don't the camera
won't fire.  I keep forgetting this and have lost some fleeting moment
images because of that.
2. DOF markings on the 150mm lens are not accurate.  I have made several
exposures with this lens set at f22 and setting the infinity mark at f22.
Resulting negatives come back with areas out of focus that should have
been. Michael R. mentioned this in his write up as well. What I typically
did was set the aperture to f22 and use the f11 markings for the DOF on the
lens to determine what is in focus. I have never had a problem doing it
this way.
DOF on the 80, 65 and 43 seem right on.
3.  The light meter is more like a spot meter than full frame meter. If I
remember correctly, it may not be through the lens. So if you have a
filter, you may have to account for it.
4. Minimum focus is pretty far away for a lot of these lenses. Typically,
it is 1 meter or more. So, don't think you will get really close to your
subjects.
Joe