Subject: [Leica] New lenses and S2
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:46:30 -0700

I certainly understand the IR issue.... and the pain in the neck of using
external filter to correct... it was the spin that I found curious.....

Comment about not including the IR filter on the sensor... the M8 solution
could have been the solution for the S2 as well....but I think they did not
have the chutzpah to try that one again, especially on pros.....

I am giving them full credit for doing the right thing.... IR filter always
there....on the sensor, where it belongs.

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

>However, the other (Leica) spin was that it improved image quality compared
>to not have the filter..... which is theoretically true, so why, on a
reflex
>camera that is trying to be the worlds' best, include the filter?

Why would a reflex camera not include the filter, unless you want infrared
to influence the photos?

>If you wish to produce the very best, why bother with an element that has
>negative effect on the image, that could be left off?

To limit the recorded spectrum to the visible range, i.e., to produce
accurate colors and record only those wavelenghts the lens is corrected for.