Subject: [Leica] American Graffitti
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:03:14 -0700

Ted:

I'll be 69 next month.  No big deal.  Just means there are fewer
ladies and gentlemen who remember the day they saw the first porthole
windows in the Thunderbird.  Back when is really was a Thunderbird.

Or the first Corvette; an inline 6.  Still a pretty cool-looking car.

Or the Austin Healy 3000 Mk II.  And so on.

Or the Princess Marguerite pulling into Victoria's Inner Harbor in the
summer afternoons.

What sticks in my mind just now is just how much grey hair there was
at the Leica Seminars in Seattle last year.

Sort of a metaphor for the product line, I fear.

But for those of us who are long, long past 30, it just doesn't matter.

I still love my R8 and R9 and two superb lenses and my little T2.
They really produce lovely images (when I do MY job...).

I use a G9 for business graphics and miscellaneous stuff.  I bought it
refurbished from Canon and it's "just fine".

But I'm still planning on an M7 as my next purchase.  I'm not wuite
done with film.  Not yet.

I just can't get excited about digital imaging machines until they
become real, practical,uncomplicated, affordable for what they deliver
and have some generational staying power (say, like the DMR, which
still produces breathtaking images - right, Mr. Herr?).

But I remember how I fretted over the new, latest, greatest, improved,
breakthrough technologies in audio, video and photo when I was
younger.  What a waste of time that was.

So what if some of us go on a bit too long about the merits of the
inline 6 engine, or why Schott crystal billets make the best optics,
or how many operations go into the building of a Certified Swiss
Chronometer.  I remember talking with the gal who cleans and repairs
our family timepieces (including those with little batteries.  She
went to Omega's Technician School back in the day.  I learned a lot
about craftsmanship from her through the years.

If we don't pass on the legends of quality, caring and craftsmanship,
who will come up as the next generation "expert" on the subject.  And
advocate similar standards in their own companies?

Being an old fart has it's upside.  Ranting like this is one of them.

Cheers, Ted.  I hope it's not snowing as much up there today as ist is
in Seattle - although the TV weather reports show a lot of "pink" over
the South Island.

Bob