Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bokeh?
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:20:47 -0500 (CDT)

On: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 Tina Manley <images at comporium.net>wrote:

>A question about bokeh in two photos.  These are straight out of the
>camera with just levels adjusted.  Is the bokeh too distracting?  I
>deliberately shot wide open to throw the background and foreground
>out and emphasize the girl on these.  I have others that are stopped down
>more.

>http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/110355394

>http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/110355396

>More blur or less?
I like pictures with sharp subject/soft backgrounds, but here I find I feel
that vertical
one doesn't work.  There is so much on top that I want to see what's going
on there, and
am frustrated that I can't; it overpowers the girl.  If you make a
horizontal crop of this one,
it seems better.  The other one seems to balance out better as it is.
That's my take.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee