Subject: [Leica] OT: Email software
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 23:59:36 -0600

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:57:17PM -0800, Peter Klein wrote:
> LUGgers:  I need a bit of advice re. email software that can display
> threaded messages.
>
> I use Windows XP.  I've been using Eudora 5.1 for years.  I've been
> perfectly satisfied with it except that it doesn't do threading.  So I've
> been getting the LUG digest rather than individual messages.  Lately I've
> been feeling like I should overcome the inertia for change and switch
> email
> clients to something that does threading.

None of the "real" Eudora versions supported threading, though version 8
will.  (This is actually a customized Thunderbird/Penelope rather than a
new program.)  Its threading function works quite well, though it slows
down the program quite a bit.  Unfortunately, the current beta 5 version
still needs a lot of work and I would suggest staying away from it for
now.  Something unlikely to be fixed is its miserable file format which
is quite a letdown for somebody used to the old Eudora's standard mbox
format.  Conversion of my version 7.1 messages to version 8 beta 3
seemed to lock up my PC until it finished after 18 hours of grinding...

Whichever program you end up trying, let me warn you that you will find
that some mailing lists will drive you nuts because people keep breaking
threads and grafting new ones to totally unrelated ones by replying to
whatever message is handy when they think they are starting fresh...

Preeminent among the worst examples of tangled-thread lists is this one.

(You have been warned! :-)  FWIW, my favorite mail client's motto is:
``All mail clients suck.  This one just sucks less.'