Subject: [Leica] Australian LUG meet in Adelaide
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:32:49 +1030

>Tell us: What's wrong with the 75mm Summilux and/or what makes the
>75mm Summicron a better choice?
The major issue for me, on the M8(.2) is that the Summicron, care of the
asph element and floating element, focuses exactly where you focus it.  The
75 Summilux, as designed by Mandler, and as calibrated by Leica if you send
it to them currently for 'focus check' the 75 Summilux has a very, very
slight front focus at f/1.4 - it works aout to about 2 mm at minimum
focus, and as you stop down, the focus focus shifts backward but within the
depth of field. You can get the lens adjusted for perfect focus at f/1.4,
but then you are out of focus until f/8.  The major result of this is that
when you are shooting with the Summilux stopped down, particularly between
f2 and f4, contrast drops slightly because although the subject remains
within the lens' band of acceptable focus, it is not right in the middle of
it where contrast is highest.

I really like the Summilux on film, but prefer the Summicron (which I don't
have) and the M8.

Marty