Subject: [Leica] another Madoff victim?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:03:58 -0700

> it looks so freaky clean
> very sad

In 1994 I was staying at the Marriott Marquis hotel (Times Square) in
Manhattan. It has a vast atrium in the middle, 45 stories high, and all of
the walkways have balconies that overlook the atrium. It is tiered; the top
10 (or so) floors are smaller than the next group, and so forth. I think the
reason for this tiered construction is to allow people on the 45th floor to
see some of the lower floors as they look down. It probably prevents some
fear-of-heights reactions.

I can't recall exactly what floor I was on. Probably about 16th. It was the
top floor of its tier; the next floor up was a bit narrower, so you could
(say) drop a ball from the 17th floor and it would land on the 16th rather
than in the atrium.

I was there with my colleague Paul. We had just returned to our rooms after
dinner with some client, and were starting to unwind when there was a
massive THUMP outside the door. We looked. A person had jumped from an upper
floor and his mangled dead body was splayed out on the rug just outside the
door to Paul's room. Ours was the top floor of our tier; that's where
jumpers would land. It is astonishing how rapidly the hotel security people
got there and got police there.

It didn't seem right to take a picture, or even to stay and gawk, so we went
downstairs to the bar. But we had an early meeting the next morning, so
after 20 minutes in the bar we went back upstairs. We figured there would be
some way to get into our rooms.

It was all gone. Not only was the victim removed, but the bloodstained piece
of the carpet had been cut out and a replacement sewn in its place. It
looked freaky clean. We had seen a dead person on that spot less than an
hour before. All of the evidence that it had ever happened was gone. It
looked so freaky clean. Very sad.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] another Madoff victim?)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] another Madoff victim?)