Subject: [Leica] Another 75mm-Summilux-on-M8 example
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:43:55 -0400

My eyes again go right to the eyelashes...
And start counting.
In this example each eyelash seems to be pre calibrated with its own number
on it.
But wait!
I pull back and .... I cant!
Its a head and shoulder shot while the other one we were talking about was a
waist up shot I think.
So a direct comparison is out.
Also this seems to have more light it.
For more natural contrast
And a probable higher shutter speed.
Maybe enough to allow for some stopping down..

But really a shot which almost has a medium format feel to it.
Overwhelming  quality of image.
3d almost.

When I get real impressed by a lens in the past its when I'm taking a loupe
to an 8x10 or 11x14 darkroom print and checking out the eyelashes on a full
length shot. You can see the person from toe to head. And you can still make
out individual lashes. Print it 20x24 and you'd not need the loupe to count
the eyelashes.
With my 90 APO Asph and my Balcar flash and 100 speed tab grain films you
could, Delta dawn or Fuji Acros. And an acutance developer dilution
combination.
Though Xtol 1:3 worked for me don't know if its quite in that category or
not. But acts as though it does at 1:3.

100 speed color neg films were nothing to apologize about for such a thing.
Or the slowest transparency films. I sure miss using Kodachrome 25 to test
my lenes with.

Mark William Rabiner