Subject: [Leica] Dance of Death (Verges)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:06:15 -0700

Lluis showed:

>>>>Hi all,

Spain has many traditions, the "Semana Santa" (Holy Week) is very

popular and quite different in Andalucia, Catalunya or other. Here I

show you a very old medieval tradition in the village of Verges, a

nice small town where is celebrated the procession the thursday night

and the "Dance of Death".

http://lluisripollphotography.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/deathdance/

I've tried to follow Dr. Ted's advice "if you can see it, you can shot

it". It was really available light, almost dark, and subjects in

movement, I don't like use the flash (I've tried it ony in 3

pictures), my M8 was setted at ISO2500 but the pictures are very

noisy, maybe with film I've get better results. However I want share

with you a general view to this nice village, the procession and the

famous "Dance of Death" (in catalan: Dansa de la mort).<<<<<,,,

Lluis,

That my friend is what real photojournalism is all about! Capturing the
moments as "we see it!!" Not the flash destroying the mood! Sure under these
conditions it doesn't matter who the photographer is, you will lose some due
to movement of subjects. That's life.

But as an over all photo essay it is bloody maaauuuuvelous! :-) Quite
wonderful given the limited amount of light!

I'd not even consider whether there was grainy looking stuff.. Noise for
those of you who've forgotten what grain looks like. ;-) Once again given
the location, light or non-light conditions the series is a moving
documentary. Besides I've found since shooting digital the "night low light
images" are far superior to whatever I got on film. Besides pushing
Ektachrome or other slide films to ASA 3200 or 6400 one might say they did
get a little "rock size grain!"  Although the M8 at 2500 is a bit grainy I
just write it off as a "high speed push" get over it! That's life if you are
shooting in near darkness.

A beautiful series Lluis well done and executed. Good on you mon ami! :-)

Cheers,

Dr. ted  :-)

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Dance of Death (Verges))