Subject: [Leica] Question about Film
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 02:04:54 -0400

At 01:44 AM 4/13/2009, Gary Dalton wrote:

 >I have a Revere ST 33, a 35mm stereo camera.
 >
 >It's instruction manual indicates that it takes ASA 10 daylight color
 >film or ASA 16 indoor film (plus conversion filters for outdoors).
 >That's it. There's no dial to select other ASA settings.
 >
 >In today's world, what might be my film options and where might I get
 >such film?
 >
 >Would a "modern film" substitue require "pushing" the film during the
 >development process?

The ASA scale was recomputed around 1958,
effectively doubling ASA speeds.  So, I suspect
that we are looking here at what we would know as
ASA 20 and 32 films.  Bear in mind that
relationship between film speed, exposure
requirements, and aperture and shutter speed.  It
is a calculus, but one rather easy to understand.

If you use, say, a 200 speed film, you can either
use a bunch of ND filters to bring the effective
film speed down to ASA 20 or you can adjust the
f/stop and shutter speed to compensate for the
ten-fold increase in film speed.  I am unfamiliar
with the Revere cameras (though I have and use a
really great Revere 8mm projector), but that would be my thoughts on the
issue.

Experimentation is encouraged.  Thank heavens my
own stereo gear -- two Contaflex models, a Zorki
rig, and a Kiev RF rig -- all just trust the
photographer to know and love the "Sunny 16" rule.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!