Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Children of the World
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:39:24 -0400

At 06:19 AM 4/16/2009, you wrote:
>The whole Live Aid
>phenomena was based around the principles of teaching a person to fish
>rather than giving them some food, so showing tearful children as a
>method of identifying is a backwards step.

The only tearful child I show is a little boy in Honduras about to
see a doctor at the medical clinics that we provide in rural
areas.  We do not give them the food rather than teaching them to
fish.   As a part of every medical clinic, we also have workshops for
local health promoters.  Doctors, dentists, and ophlamologists teach
the health promoters basic first aid and nutrition.  They receive the
book Where There Is No Doctor and medical supplies.  Then they assist
the doctors in a week-long clinic.  The NGOs that we work with are
local grass roots agencies that promote self-development,
self-sustaining agricultural projects, and small businesses.  We also
work with agencies in the United States who do the same kind of work
in low income communities.

I don't know where you are coming from and what you expect to see in
my photos, but I have been photographing children and families for
over 30 years.  I love people and love travel and hope that is what
shows in my photos.  The children in my photos are NOT objects of
pity and never will be.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com