Subject: [Leica] La Barceloneta, a BAR
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:40:25 +0100

Lluis Ripoll wrote:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/La+Barceloneta/L1000499.jpg.html
I have no cultural reference point but the light bulb is too bright.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/La+Barceloneta/L1000496bw.jpg.html

black and white is probably more suitable because of the fire
extinguisher but misses out on the brass of that reflected metal thing.
I think the aim was to balance the previous picture of the nipple
tweaking with the mannequin, but I don't think the angle is possible,
I'd have waited for someone to sit down and moved myself to put the
detached arm coming from their shoulder, which would be only be a matter
or moving physically around and then choosing the lens to frame what the
eye sees.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/La+Barceloneta/L1000487bw.jpg.html

Wrong lens and it should be colour. If the lens were not so wide and was
stopped down you'd increase the depth of field to have the mannequin and
man in focus which is what your eyes and the brightline finder would be
seeing. The reason I say colour is because there's a red fire
extinguisher behind the mannequin and human eyes go to red and you have
a leadig line caused by the bar edge. Also the fallen over cup points to
the manequin and there's a good balance with the man looking out of the
frame. The possible problem point could be the mirrored ceiling and you
may have to be standing on tip toes and pointing the camera downwards.

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/La+Barceloneta/L1000492bw.jpg.html

there's a series of leading lines emphasized by the lens but no focal
point. I need someone or something (dog, cat, an artificial sih from a
fishmogers sign) at that table or corner set of seats.

no I've changed my mind, in fact I need someone in the corner with their
legs out and the camera moved to hide their face behind the lamp, with
the photographer dropping 60cm by bending their knees, further down to
cut the head off the doll in the top right of the frame, and but before
the shot I'd ask the bar keeper to remove the light bulb from the lamp
on the wall. The difficulty would be keeping out of the mirror in the back.