Subject: [Leica] Week 17 Keukenhof
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:59:41 +0100

Do you know the work of Martin Parr ? http://www.martinparr.com/index1.html

My personal tastes are not to use flash, except a couple of stops under
but your pictures with 1:1 ratio in this series are very reminiscent of
Parr's work where he uses (might be "used to use" as it's been a few
years) with a 1:1 ratio to make the subject stand out.

Folklore is that Parr's appointment to Magnum created a rift between the
traditionalists and the modernists, the "justifiable excuse" the
traditionalists used for criticism was that he shot a lot of film
(thousands of rolls of velvia) during each assignment and that he was
nothing better than a snapper getting lucky. I think he's immensely
talented and it is a style that appeals to me, but not something I would
ever do. It's very courageous to go and blast someone with 1:1 flash for
a candid, I confess to using the camera as a shield to lurk behind.