Subject: [Leica] M8/Metz flash problem
From: s.yoder at verizon.net (Stan Yoder)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:52:26 -0400

Folks, I've bought a used Metz 54MZ-3 with SCA 3502 M3. In TTL mode it
will not flash on my M8 (though in Auto it does) nor does the lightning
symbol illuminate in the VF. I checked the camera with my SF-24 and it
works fine in TTL/GNC mode.

The 3502 is apparently version 3 ("M3".) The M8 manual has a footnote
(p.110) indicating that v.4ff will activate AWB, but the text body
infers that previous versions will work, sans AWB.

I've checked every setting I can think of and cleaned the contacts that
connect the 3502 to the flash and to the camera. The camera is
transmitting ISO and even adjusts the Metz's motorized zoom to suit the
lens (in this case the 24 Elmarit) presumably via the 6-bit code.

Anyone with insights or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Stan Yoder

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M8/Metz flash problem)