Subject: [Leica] IMG Watching a football match...
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:50:20 +0100

F?elix L?opez de Maturana wrote:

>> I'f you'd moved a fraction to the right then the boy would not have had
>> the footballer intersection with his head. Dropping your knees slightly
>> would have put the boy's head higher in the frame nearer to the top
>> right third although it runs the risk of creating more problems with the
>> footballer's then intersecting with the buildings on the horizon and the
>> image is lacking in contrast on my monitor, the boy's skin tones are
>> unpleasant and it also looks like the boy is blurred with details
>> missing from the folds of his hood.

> Thanks for pointing to the main defaults of mi image. The picture was
> taken while walking so that framing was "on the way"... Due to my age
> I't s really difficult to "drop my knees".

Then you could open your legs ! I admit to being an obsessive
perfectionist, I trained on prime lenses and because I had to allow time
to change a lens, I adopted a technique where I would use my eyes to
find the position and the lens was then chosen to give the field of view
and put on the camera. When I started using fast aperture zoom lenses, I
found that I was not using my feet and eyes, I would remain stationary
and zoom the lens, plus my composition suffered as the wide aperture SLR
image did not allow clear vision of the background. When I changed to
M6's I found that the brightline viewfinder instantly improved my
composition and I returned to my old method of feet and eyes and only
using the lens to choose field of view. I found I shot much less film
and that most of the time the image I wanted was the first one I would take.

> Have you got a really good
> monitor?

I have a very good monitor for black & white and it sees all the tones
on test cards, but it is not very good at colour.

> Thanks again.
>
> Felix -this is my christian name-

My pleasure,

Philip.