Subject: [Leica] Which 50mm lens is "most like the 75mm Summilux f1.4"?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:12:53 -0400

For Leica M street shooting I strongly recommend shooting Fuji or Kodak PRO
800 color neg film in cellophane packs of 10 or 20 respectively its well
worth the extra few bucks.
It looks like what you'd expect 200 speed film to look like grain and
sharpness wise. If it was the 80's. Which is was yesterday.

400 film is what I think of as high rez film.
800 is general purpose; as is the 1600 as a matter of fact.
I find the results Superia.
Anything slower than that is tripod film or studio strobe film as far as I
go or would recommend;
Its WAY OVER KILL.
And I've been standardized on 11x14 darkroom prints my whole life.
For the use of most here you could use the 1600 film till the cows come
home.

Otherwise  you're just shooting yourself in the foot not letting the Leica M
system do what its designed to do. Shoot hand held in all kinds of
situations.
Some day put it on a tripod and shoot some slow film and blow up up huge to
see why you spent thousands instead of hundreds on your lenes but otherwise
its as I say above. Get the shot. Bring home the photograph. Save your
suffering for later.

Walking around shooting with 160 film I know its not uncommon for these guys
here but I really hate to see it. Your hobbling yourself before you get out
the door. At those speeds you might as well shoot chrome films and really
give yourself a hard time.

Mark William Rabiner

> From: <grduprey at mchsi.com>
> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:13:30 +0000
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Which 50mm lens is "most like the 75mm Summilux f1.4"?

Ric,

Is there much difference between iso 100 and iso 400? ?Same for the
> M8. ? I would think iso 160 will be your choice, but that is totally up to
> you.

Gene