Subject: [Leica] G10
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:40:51 -0400

Its a bit big of a camera for such a small sensor size

1/1.7" (approx 7.6x5.7) 4.67X

Some comparisons:
Full format (approx 36x24) - No crop factor or 1X
Nikon DX (approx 23.6x15.5) 1.5X
Canon (approx 22.7x15.1) 1.6X
Olympus 4/3 (approx 18.0x13.5) 2X
1/1.6" 4.44X
1/1.7" (approx 7.6x5.7) 4.67X  (your 50mm lens becomes a 233mm lens)
1/1.8" (approx 7.2x5.3) 4.83X
1/2.5" (approx 5x4) 6.03X
1/3" (approx 4.8x3.6) 7.0X

Not SUPER 8 but slightly smaller I think than REGULAR 8 movie film.
Around the size of Minox.
Plenty of pocket digital cameras have sensors several size larger than this
enabling shooting at better than film ISO's
Not worse.

To me its frustrating to go snap and think I got the picture but then
realize I really didn't get the picture.
I'd rather really get the picture.
And use at least 4/3s size sensor.
Perhaps use the Sigma Dp2.
Its sleek, gorgeous, and has a sensor which is  20.7mm x 13.8mm.
And comes crunchy smooth and creamy..

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092305sigma_dp2.asp

I'm still real pleased with carrying around my Nikon D40x with me in a
little Domke side bag all day its been two years now I think with a small
lens in front how much bigger is it than a point and shoot and how much more
enabling?

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] G10)