Subject: [Leica] B&W on M8.2...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 07:59:52 -0700

Craig Semetko offered:

>>>It's curious, though, as I have a couple friends who are pretty
accomplished professional

photographers who don't bother with RAW as they say it is extra work

for little or no discernible difference from jpegs. Obviously that is

not the consensus of the group here--I will give DNG a try.<<<<<<

Hi Craig,

A note from experience. :-)

When I started digital and shot only in JPEG I thought everything was
fantastic. However Tina was on my case about shooting in RAW. I tried it and
stopped several times. However thanks to our Lady of the LUG, Tina finally
convinced me to work only in RAW or DNG format! There isn't any question,
you can and will produce far better final images than you ever could in
JPEG.

Best thing?  You'll always or should have the original image you shot just
as though it were an original film negative or slide.

Yep I don't doubt for one second your "professional photographer"
acquaintances will poo-poo this. However that's their choice of course.
Unfortunately I did that every time she got on my case.  That was until I
learned that if one is a pro and producing income earning photography you
need to work in RAW or DNG.

And that .. who don't bother with RAW as they say it is extra work for
little or no discernible difference from jpegs.<<<

They're wrong!!! Oh and just in case they might think I'm one of the
amateurs out here in never never land? I've been a professional photographer
for 60 years and still am. And still learning every day! That little bit
just in case their rebuttal might be different. :-) :-)

Cheers,

ted