Subject: [Leica] B&W on M8.2
From: csemetko at gmail.com (Craig Semetko)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 06:53:44 -0700

Thanks again to Geoff and Tina and everyone else who explained the RAW
advantages in a constructive way. You cleared the issue up for me. For
the most part, I'm not a "hard news" shooter working on deadlines, so
as I use the M8 more and more, I will definitely be shooting in DNG.
The "throwing away your negative and working from a drugstore print"
is a really effective metaphor, Tina! Thanks!

Cheers,

Craig

NO ARCHIVE

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 09:27:59 +1000
> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W on M8.2...
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Well that's part of the story but is not necessarily significant.
> The BIG
> difference is how much information the camera throws away at the
> outset. You
> can't get that back. If you want to extract the most information
> from the
> M8, DNG is the only choice. That may not be important for some
> purposes
> certainly.
> But remember that Craig's original question was asking about
> advantages and
> disadvantages of shooting DNG vs. jpg.
> Craig has explained that his pro friends use jpg and it suits their
> purposes
> fine. No reason to doubt that. It doesn't invalidate the technical
> differences though.It just says that those aren't a priority for the
> way
> they work.
> Having said that I don't think that the M8 implements jpg especially
> well
> compared to the mainstream cameras (which those pros are undoubtedly
> using).

> Having said that I don't think that the M8 implements jpg especially
> well
> compared to the mainstream cameras (which those pros are undoubtedly
> using).

I still cannot understand shooting jpegs under any
circumstances.  DNG doesn't take that much longer - infinitesimal
parts of a second.  Shooting jpeg you are throwing away your negative
and working from a drugstore print.  Can't understand that at all!!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] B&W on M8.2)