Subject: [Leica] New Name for Noctilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:08:32 -0400

I got my Noctilux 8/28/2001 from Glazers in Seattle and then proceeded to
shoot with nothing but it for at least a half year. It never came off my M6
which never came off my shoulder.
On a regular basis took it to the movies I took it to the bathroom.
An M6 with a Rapidwinder and lens is a relatively compact but heavy "kit" as
the Brit's say. - it balances off the Noctilux nicely.
The Noctilux is about the size of an average SLR lens but twice the weight.
So the lens with the camera and winder made for a heavier package for me to
carry around all day but I got used to it.
How much lighter percentage wise would that package be with my 21 or 24
ASPH?
12 percent? Or a 90 submicron APO ASPH? About the same percentage; a bit
heavier no big deal.
Whatever the disadvantages of the Noctilux were or are I got used to them.
My shoulder got used to them and my neck. Any my eye.
The lack of closer focusing was one of them.
I liked the distinctive looks wide open it gave me;
But at high noon I was shooting at f16 as there was on other way.
Its good to do this with a lens you can't really learn a lens if its on your
camera one 7th of the time. Its good to at least just take off an a mini
road trip for a week with just it. See what it cant and can do.
And with a normal or close to normal lens this is more possible.
As a wide angle cant be your telephoto or visa versa but a normal can
stretch a bit in both directions. though I must admit I think of a normal as
a 40 or 45.

One of my last times in my dark room I made fiber 16x20s of many of those
Noct shots and sent them to many of my friends. Many of them were of them.
And many were Luggers.

There is no illusions what a lens can do or cant do when you print
extensively 16x20's with them.
The lens is a classic contender.
I'm real interested how the new .95 will compare.

Mark William Rabiner