Subject: [Leica] a quick hello
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:16:14 +0800

 From my limited experience with the old one, the new one is even
better. There's some falloff up to f8, but nothing you can't fix from
RAW (if shooting digital). Center zone is very sharp even wide open,
and the edges get that way from 5.6. Not much CA to speak of, and the
sunstars are nice and pointy. I guess f4.5 isn't that hard to design
for.  Objectively, at 4.5, it's about the same as my Nikon 14-24/2.8
at f2.8 if you ignore the vignetting. Pretty impressive when you
consider it's about the size of the 14-24 rear cap alone, and 1/4 the
price (in my neck of the woods, at least).