Subject: [Leica] a quick hello
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:20:21 +0800

Mark, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least have a look at my portfolio
or flickr page *before* jumping to conclusions. I provided plenty of
links in an earlier message. I'm in the camp that believes if you do
it right, nobody can tell if you've used a compact or a DSLR.

I started out with the F2 and have used enough cameras, film,
digital, compact (though no MF except for a ill-fated experiment to
talk about another time) to know what works for me and what doesn't.
I'm lucky that most of the time I get to try out gear before I buy
it; and I do agree a lot of the time it's just new gear syndrome that
makes you go out and shoot more. I had the M8 for an extended loan
period for an article we were doing, and found that I was just
shooting a lot more than I used to, experimenting again, and focusing
on the dynamic and the art rather more than technical perfection
(which was the case with the D3).  It took me more than a month after
that to figure out if the advantages outweighed the disadvantages -
for what I shoot now, they do - this is actually my first system
switch, though it's not so much of a switch as running one and a half
systems.

Full frame IS nice, I'll admit that. And I could shoot all day with
the D3 and 24-70 and not wish for anything else from an equipment
point of view, but after a while the weight and conspicuousness got
annoying. I didn't take the camera out anymore, except on assignment.
And then suddenly photography felt like a chore rather than something
enjoyable. Of the literally hundreds I've used, few cameras really
stood out to me - and most of them had serious shortcomings that
meant they were never that popular with the public. The D2H was the
first one. Even in 2004, it was noisy and under-rezzed. But I
produced some of my favorite images with it, and it taught me
discipline because it was so darn unforgiving. I loved shooting with
it enough to replace the shutter three times before it died of
moisture ingress. I think that was about 1/4 million images. The
Panasonic TZ3 was the next one - you had to be cunning with the spot
meter to get it to do what you wanted - but the lens was awesome, for
a compact at least. I shot an entire commercial assignment with that
camera - the shipyard set I posted earlier (some with the Ricoh GRD,
but that was while scouting). Next came the D3. I enjoyed that
because it gave me the freedom of not having to worry about the
camera not being able to capture what I saw (or at least not have the
raw material I need to turn it into what I saw) - a carefully
massaged 14bit RAW file giving 13 stops? Unheard of. Clean ISO 6400?
Also unheard of.

But for me, it was both too heavy, too conspicuous, and too easy.
Maybe not in Europe or the US, but in Malaysia, a D3 body and 24-70
represents more than the average annual salary. Before tax. The M8
was next. I enjoy shooting with this camera, more than anything else
I've used; I can get what I want out of it - perhaps not single frame
HDR like the D3 could do - and that's enough to make me get out and
shoot for fun again, and carry the camera with me everywhere I go.
And as a result of that, I get shots I'd have missed with the D3
because *I wouldn't have carried it*. So, technically, it's not as
good as the D3. No, I can't shoot wildlife or macro anymore (though I
have a D90 for that, and all of my lenses). But the bottom line is I
enjoy using it...and that pushes me further to get stuff I couldn't
before.

Now, an M8 with the D3's sensor and processing pipeline, that would
be something else altogether...

The gentleman's camera comment was sarcasm on my part. It doesn't
translate well through email, I guess.

Ming