Subject: [Leica] M LENSES ON PANASONIC G1
From: r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:08:49 -0400

The discovery that some M-mount lenses produced fuzzy edge images (I
think Sean Reid noticed it first) led me to test the lenses I had on
hand to see if I got the same results and could understand what was
happening.  I tested the following lenses:

14-45 mm f3.5-5.6 Lumix Kit Lens
15 mm Heliar
21 mm Elmarit ASPH
25 mm Color Skopar
28 mm Summicron ASPH
35 mm Summicron ASPH
50 mm Summicron (1970's version)

The 14-45 lens, designed specifically for the camera, was included for
comparison.

I've posted the test images here:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/G1_M_LENSES/

or

http://tinyurl.com/qlh84o

The first shot shows the DVD/CD shelves I used as a target.  It was
taken with the 15 mm Heliar wide open at f4.5.  Then images from the
center and worst edge for each lens are presented at full size (1:1)
first with the lens wide open and next at two stops down.

These pictures were all taken at a shooting distance of about 3-1/2
feet with the camera carefully squared to the shelves.  They are all
at ISO 200 with the camera on a stiff tripod and the shutter tripped
with the self timer. The last three images are from a shot with the 28
Summicron outside at f8.0.  First I show the full image and then full
size crops at the center and worst edge.

I omitted the 35 and 50 Summicron images from this post because the
effect is minimal at 35 mm and almost gone at 50mm.

The 14-45 kit lens is sharp at the center and at the edges.  All the M-
mount lenses show smearing in differing amounts at the edges when wide
open.  The smearing is worst at the widest apertures and gets better
when closed down.  Outdoors at small apertures it disappears
entirely.  It also seems to improve at greater distances from the
subject.  These results are pretty much what you'd expect from a
sensor designed to accept light primarily straight on.

So, for me, this limits the usefulness of the M-lenses on the camera
but does not preclude using them.  They are the only wide-angle large-
aperture lenses available for it and in many situations the fuzzy
edges won't matter. In bright light, stopped down, the M-lenses do
very well, but on the other hand, so does the kit lens.  Currently I
plan on using the camera with 4/3rds optics when the light is even
half way reasonable and use the M-mount lenses when the light gets dim
and the edges don't matter, though that may change after I've had more
experience with the G1 and the M lenses in actual use.

It would be interesting to see how the camera performs with Leica R
lenses and I'm hoping someone having those will buy the new R adapter
for the G1 and post the results.  The one test I ran with a Nikkor 20
mm f2.8 lens showed less difference in sharpness across the field than
the M-lenses displayed but was also less sharp in the center than the
kit lens.

As a travel camera the G1 still seems perfect to me and I plan on
taking it, the kit lens, the 28 Summicron, and maybe the 21 Elmarit
along when I go to Japan in a few months.

Regards,

Dick
off-list comments to r.s.taylor at comcast dot net please.

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] M LENSES ON PANASONIC G1)