Subject: [Leica] "good enough" (was: a quick hello)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:35:54 -0400

Gene the crop factor didn't stop any body very long from getting into
digital who wanted to stay in the business in 2003.
I went out an bought a 14mm 2.8 and called it even it didn't slow me up.
But in the past very few years all the top people as well as medium rare
people as well as anyone with two legs who can walk are shooting full 24x36
format.
Cropped format, 1.5x or 1.6x is quickly being seen as a Daddy picture format
for casual shooting.
Very popular. As DSLR's out sell point and shoots. But on a commercial job
or many another kind of job, its getting to be a rare bird.
Even people who mainly use very long teles have bit the bullet and gone full
frame.
Its not because its the newest catch phrase. The latest thing  you gotta
have.  Its because of the results. And the usability at ISO's far beyond
mortal men. The way big prints look.
We can say "no I don't need to be looking through my AF lenses"
We don't need AF; we don't need SLR's.
But saying we don't need to be shooting full frame will soon be an
impossible sell. The cameras are virtually  the same size. Its not the
difference between a speed graphic and a Rollei. Or a Leica and a
Hasselblad. Its the same basic system.
But Non clipped features.
Why didn't they make more Leica 72's?

Mark William Rabiner