Subject: [Leica] VictorBlad
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:08:28 +0800

I agree, but if you were using 100 year old formula on the plates,
it'd be blown away by the same camera with sheet provia. You can't
update the sensor on the V blad in the same way you can change the
film on the Deardorf.

All things equal - if we used identical building blocks to make up
the sensor area - yes, the bigger sensor would always win. That was
the case with film, because more of the same stuff is always better.
But this isn't the case, because here the building blocks aren't
identical. The technology used in the V back is quite a way behind
that on the D3x sensor. It's the same reason that the D5000
outperforms the D2x on basis of image quality alone; they may have
the same pixel count, but there's been another five years of sensor
development between them. I don't think anybody is going to say the
D2x is great above ISO 800, whereas the D5000 can be shot all the way
to the 6400 limit. And there it's only about a stop and a half behind
the D3. (Heracy!)