Subject: [Leica] VictorBlad
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:31:15 -0400

On Saturday, Sep 30, 2006 at Photokina Germany Harold Cummer from the LUG
handed me an 11x14 rag Epson print he'd just borrowed for a minute from the
Epson booth.
The quality was phantasmagorical. Needed to be seen to be believed.
from cropped or results I'd seen from full frame 35mm DSLR's.
It blew it right out of the water.
Compete? Competition?
There is none between medium format digital and DSLR shooting.
It image looked 3D. Leaped off the page and also seemed to exist an inch
below it.
The difference I was well familiar with with film 24x36 vs. 60x60 was not as
great. And that difference is a world apart.
In digital you could call it two worlds.

When I started out in the 70's Nikon was not competing with Hasselblad.
Most photographers felt like they needed both.
But the Hassy stuff cost ten times more.
For results which were really in a different category. And which everybody
like now was aware of.

When 645 kicked in not that many years later the price points closed between
the two formats but the quality difference I think still held;
Despite not using Zeiss glass and getting 16 not 12 on a roll.
>From fast motorized easily shifted to vertical bodies.
Again I'd have loved to have used 645.
90% of the quality of Medium format with 90% of the quick handy handling.
With A and P.

Mark William Rabiner